Imposed on the net weight of passenger and commercial vehicles. State tax rates are (HRS §249-33):
- 1.75¢ per lb. for vehicles weighing up to 4,000 lbs.
- 2.00¢ per lb. for vehicles weighing over 4,000 to 7,000 lbs.
- 2.25¢ per lb. for vehicles weighing over 7,000 lbs. to 10,000 lbs.
- $300 for vehicles weighing over 10,000 lbs.
County vehicle weight taxes are additional:
- City & County of Honolulu, commercial vehicles, 5.5¢ per lb.; passenger vehicles and noncommercial vehicles not weighing more than 6,500 lbs., 5¢ per lb.; minimum $12 (Rev. Ord. Honolulu §41-17.1);
- Hawaii County, commercial 2.5¢ per lb.; passenger 1.25¢ per lb. and a $12 minimum (Hawaii County Code §§24-17 and -18);
- Maui County, commercial 4.36¢ per lb.; passenger 3¢ per lb. and a $12 minimum (Maui County Code §3.24.030; Ord. 4231 (2015));
- Kauai County, commercial 3¢ per lb.; passenger 2¢ per lb. with $12 minimum (Kauai County Code §5-2.3).
Distribution: State share goes to state highway fund. County share goes to counties.
SOURCE: Compiled by the Tax Foundation of Hawaii from the Hawaii Revised Statutes, as amended through the 2016 legislative session, and Revised Ordinances for various counties. Consult the statute, ordinance, rules, or regulations for specific cases or circumstances.
Last Revised: August 19, 2016